Thursday, December 18, 2014

ONE'S DOME OF LIGHT

Wendy Van Huyssteen " Peace Filled" oil on canvas

Restoring light, Light within, Church light, Peace filled light are all good titles for this painting that beckons the viewer to stop in their fast paced tracks and dwell a little in this space. For Wendy Van Huyssteen this was indeed the reason she painted and captured the famous church in Greece,seen on a recent family holiday, subject of inspiration to many an artist. 

The photograph depicted the windows as dark . The underpainting of burn’t sienna hinted at making the glow in the window expressing the warmth of the memory.
The blues painted from freshly bought tubes of Maimeri “Puro” (Pure) gave the intense lustre that the mediterranean coastline provides. The velvet concrete making the roof mimics the colour of the summer ocean, the angles of whites in many values, dancing greens of bougainvillea, distant haze of rugged landscape all come together to create an appealing painting.

I felt it apt to end this years blogging with this artwork and wish you all a very peace filled Christmas where memories are made, and joy is charged within. May all your lights keep on burning and may 2015 be one filled with hope, tranquility and peace.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing my painting my precious friend. Light seems to be a reoccurring source in our friendship. When my brother passed away, almost 3 years ago now, you gave me a beautiful Luna Porcelain Vista Votive tea candle holder which I use often. Every time I light a candle in it, I sit back for a moment and allow the warmth of the glow to settle within. For me it is a constant reminder of two things - that although my brother is gone his light still continues to shine and that the person who gave me this precious gift, being you, was in herself a true gift from God! You are a beautiful source of light An, not only for me but for all those who are lucky enough to cross your path. My painting, which hangs in our lounge, another reminder of your special light! May your and your special family's Christmas be filled with peace, joy and love. All my love Wends xxx

    ReplyDelete